Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Discipling


I'm excited about a discipleship material that I found quite by accident. It's the Growing Disciples Series put out by Lifeway. I received one of the books called Witness to the World as part of the Texas 2010 emphasis by the Baptist General Convention of Texas. It seem interesting enough but upon looking inside the back cover, I discovered the Witness was one of seven in a series of discipleship studies. I begin this week discipling a young man in our church. He has agreed to meet with me weekly as we discover the life a disciple. I was looking for something that would relate to a teen but would also give him a good solid foundation. The first study is called The Call to Follow Christ is the introduction to the series and give an overview of the other six studies in the series. I am very impressed with what I have seen so far. Claude King has produced another hit for discipleship. I am looking forward to discipling this young man and helping him begin his life with Christ. I think that he is excited too. He has great potential to do great things for the Lord. Discipleship is one of the greatest needs in the church today. It is not something that happens in a class or even a small group, necessarily. Ideally, it is something that happens on a one-on-one basis. I read a great post today by Dan Wooldridge about the definition and need of relational evangelism from the Engage Evangelism conference. I think that along with relational evangelism there must also be relational discipleship. If we invest all that time to lead someone to Christ, then it makes perfect sense to continue to invest in there spiritual development. Isn't that exactly what Jesus did? There was the crowd, whom He ministered to in a certain way, but then He had the twelve, whom He really invested in. Even withing the twelve, though, there were three, Peter, James, and John, into whom Jesus poured His life. I think that lays out the perfect pattern for us to follow for discipleship today. It makes no sense to lead someone to Christ, hand them a Bible, and wish them luck, while we dash off to notch another conversion. Discipleship is all about relationship. It is about building a relationship with another person so that you can help them in building a relationship with God. At the same time you are teaching them to do what you are doing with them; build relationships with people so they can build relationships with God. When we engage in relational evangelism which leads to relational discipleship, we are truly crashing into life. Crash on!

No comments: