Monday, November 21, 2011

Put on the Power

I was reading in Luke 23 last week and I came across a verse that I swear was not in there the last time I read from this chapter.  It is a verse where Jesus gives a great promise to his disciples.  Jesus promises power to His disciples in Luke 23:49


The word for power here is the work from which we derive the word dynamite.  Dynamite is a powerful thing.  It can be used to absolutely destroy some thing or to gently craft something.  The promised power that Jesus speaks of here comes from the Holy Spirit.  This power is the same power that had raised Jesus from the dead.  The disciples know the power of the Spirit in that are speaking to the risen Jesus even now.  Jesus promises this power to them.

There is an interesting way, though, that Jesus promises this power.  He say you will be clothed with power.  When I think of being clothed, my mind is immediately drawn to choice.  Each morning, we stand before our closet with one question on our mind, "What am I going to wear today?" Granted this question is easier to answer for some than others.  Either way, though, there is a choice that needs to be made.  We have to make the decision of what to wear.  I think this is at the heart of what Jesus is saying here.  Daily, we must make the decision to be clothed with the power of the Holy Spirit.  In essence we are making the decision to live according to our will or according to God's will.  Will I live today in my power or in the power of the Holy Spirit?  I must decide.

No comments: